Working in a Cross-Generational Team
Learn Strategies that Make Cross-Generational Teams Work
In this course, team members learn skills and develop understandings that help them participate effectively in a multi-generational team setting. Participants leave with a clear understanding of how better team results are possible as a result of generational diversity.
Put the generational differences to work for you.
These days, up to four generations are often on the same team. Each generation has its own values, attitudes and communication style. Generational differences can lead to poor communication, increased conflict, and overall poor performance.
But these generational differences need not limit the cross-generation team's potential. The key to working together lies in our ability to understand the generational motivations and values. Being able to appreciate and use these differences to enhance the workplace environment is what this training is all about.
This seminar covers all four workplace generations. Participants learn how to effectively communicate with, work with, and manage inter-generational differences to maximize team performance and improve workplace effectiveness. They discover skills and techniques that improve team communication, build synergy, and effectively deal with conflict between different generations. Everyone gains a new perspective of how individuals from different generations can work together to maximize the true potential of a cross-generation team.
Who Should Attend
For career minded professionals at all levels who want to excel in their interpersonal and communication skills, overcome workplace conflict, and build a more positive work environment.
- Develop better workplace communication
- Overcome conflict due to generational / age differences
- Develop more understanding and improve collaborative work efforts
- Develop better work relationships between new hires and long-term employees
- Improve multi-generational team performance
Overview of Concepts and Deliverables Provided
- Defining the workplace generations:
- Traditionalists (Silent)
- Baby Boomers
- Generation Xers
- Generation Y or Nexters
- Sensitizing yourself with other generations
- Understand how different generations define:
- feeling valued
- work values
- How to understand what people really mean when people of different generations make comments that upset you
- How to find out what was meant by the comment and what was their intent – you may be surprised by the answer
- Birth year alone doesn't necessarily dictate generational outlook
- How to find a common ground when the conflict is about right versus wrong
- Gain mutual understanding about the goals of your manager and the company
- Communicate so the entire team sees value in their contribution
- Turn "Why am I not getting what I want?" to "How can I further support my team and the organization, while advancing my career?"
- How to create synergy between individual career goals and organization/team mission
- Verbal, Written and Electronic communication and the impact on the generation gap
- How to be aware of generational differences and anticipate miscommunication
- Learn techniques to effectively deal with conflict among different generations
- How to tailor your message for maximum effect — keeping in mind generational differences
Every organization has its own culture and each team member has a unique relationship within the team. We adapt each session to provide appropriate emphasis and focus to meet your training objectives.
Additional seminars on workplace generations and their impact on the workplace include: Managing a Cross-Generational Team and Bridging the Communication Gap Between Generations at Work.
To find out more about these unique training programs, call us toll free at 877-385-5515.