Managing a Cross-Generational Team
Learn Team Management Strategies to Successfully Manage Cross-Generational Teams
Today’s workplace team can include up to four generations - silent generation (traditionalists), baby boomers, Generation X and Generation Next. (View article on workplace generations.) Each generation has different values, habits and goals. With this kind of diverse team dynamics, it’s no wonder why team leaders often struggle turning groups into top performing teams. Learning what makes each generation tick, and how to motivate each individual, can be a painstaking, time-consuming ordeal without training.
The challenge is not just for older workers managing younger employees. It’s also about the challenges younger managers face helping older employees re-engage in their work and motivating them with fulfilling roles when they are on a career plateau, feel they are being overlooked and undervalued, or just getting by until they retire.
This training event cuts through the theory and pulls together the most successful strategies and practices managing cross-generational teams.
Participants discover secrets for successfully managing cross-generational teams. We take them beyond simply learning about the four different generations that can make up a team. They learn to recognize the issues cross-generational teams face, how to overcome common obstacles that come with managing cross-generational teams, and how to create an environment that promotes the success of each team member – no matter which generation they are in.
The performance management challenge with multiple generations on the same team is not something most managers and supervisors are prepared for. Without training, the skills learned in this training are often learned by trial and error or not learned at all.
Who Should Attend
Managers and team leaders who need to overcome the challenges of bringing people from different generations onto the same team.
- Be able to relate to all four workplace generations
- Recognize the value of working in cross-generational teams
- Learn the steps to guide team interactions for better results
- Create an environment that motivates each generation for better results and improved commitment
- Overcome common management challenges associated with cross-generational teams
- Improve communication across the generation gap
- Resolve cross-generational team conflict
Overview of Concepts and Deliverables Provided
- The cross-generational team reality – what it is, and why it is important to understand it
- Cross-generational team characteristics
- Learn how generational perceptions, attitudes and values influence the team effort
- Recognizing cross-generational team challenges
- How to create an environment that supports cross-generational team effectiveness
- Implement team rules that help guide cross-generational team interaction
- Tips on communicating effectively with multi-generational work teams
- Helping the generations appreciate and respect each other
- Motivate cross generational employees: Learn what “speaks” to each generation
- Match team challenges with the appropriate mix of experience
- Understand age discrimination issues and prevent discrimination claims under ADEA
- Implement strategies to help experienced employees interact effectively on cross-generational teams.
- Recognize and overcome potential work-style conflicts that can occur on cross-generational teams
- How to manage conflict in a positive and constructive manner for each generation
- Transferring knowledge and attracting talent
- Attracting and retaining top performing cross-generational team members
Additional seminars on workplace generations and their impact on the workplace include: Working in a Cross-Generational Team and Bridging the Communication Gap between Generations at Work.
Give us a call toll free at 877-385-5515.