Leadership in a Nonprofit Organization - $99.00
Learn how to lead and understand how leadership in a nonprofit is different from the for profit organization.
Product Code: NP-LeaderSubscription
Subscription: 30 Days
CEU Credits: .5
CFRE Credits: 3
Introduction and Overview
This course addresses the key issues surrounding leadership. What is leadership? Why is it important? What does it require to be a leader? How does leadership in a nonprofit environment differ from the private sector? What is visionary leadership? What role should ethics play? This course considers the foundations of leadership and examines how to be a successful and effective leader. The actual work of leadership requires specific qualities and skills. Some of these skills are unique to the nonprofit sector.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Define leadership and explain its importance
- Distinguish between some of the better-known leadership theories (Fieldler's contingency theory, Path-goal theory, Vroom-Yetton-Jago theory)
- Distinguish leadership from management and administration
- Explain the role of ethics in leadership
- Identify the benefits and drawbacks surrounding charismatic leadership
- Recognize the importance of training, learning, and role-playing in leadership
- Describe the impending leadership shortage in the nonprofit sector and discuss possible solutions to the problem
- Discuss the seven bases for leadership
- Explain why formal authority alone does not guarantee leadership
- Explain leadership issues that are especially important in the nonprofit environment
- Discuss the nine key qualities for leadership
- Describe the leadership qualities that nonprofit leaders feel are important for success
- Identify the five central skills needed for effective leadership and explain ways to strengthen or develop those skills in a leader
Target Audience: This course in intended for adults seeking to gain a basic understanding of leadership in a nonprofit setting. This course is best suited for learners with a basic understanding of nonprofit organizations.
Level/Prerequisites: Introductory/No Prerequisites
Estimated time to complete: 3-5 hours
Ask the Expert: This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Successful Completion Requirement for IACET CEU: Learners must score an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit.
This course is part of the Nonprofit Management Suite of seven (7) online courses which includes:
- Budgeting in a Nonprofit Organization
- Fundraising for Nonprofit Organizations
- How to Read a Nonprofit Financial Statement
- Leadership in a Nonprofit Organization
- Nonprofit Board and Volunteer Development
- Principles of Marketing for Nonprofit Organizations
- Strategy for Nonprofit Organizations